March 10, 2007

R.I.P., Staff Sergeant Larry Lehrke


I used to wear a POW/MIA bracelet bearing the name S/SGT Larry Lehrke. Wore it religiously for a good 7 or 8 years. I thought it was lost during a move some 15 years ago. While shoveling through some crap in an early spring cleaning I found it once again. I figured I'd use the power of the internet to learn more about him.

Staff Sergeant Stanley L. ("Larry") Lehrke was a member of the crew of an AC-130A which was shot down over the Ashau Valley on June 18, 1972. In October 1994 (after I had lost the bracelet) the remains of Sergeant Lehrke and the rest of the planes crew were turned over to the USAF and identified (Sergeant Lehrke and 8 others identified as a group and 3 others identified individually). On November 17, 1994, a group burial of the co-mingled remains of the AC-130 crew was held at Arlington National Cemetery.
I never knew Staff Sergeant Larry Lehrke. But I know he was an American hero who gave his life for this country. I will leave you with this recent tribute, from his sister:

Tribute for: Larry Lehrke (San Diego, CA)
Tribute left by: Marcie Holst (Santa Clarita, CA)


There are not enough words in my vocabulary to describe my hero, and my brother, Larry Lehrke. He was generous, caring, compassionate, friendly, honest, respectful, fun loving, risk taking, talkative, athletic, supportive, courageous, adventurous, peaceful, intelligent, charismatic, and handsome to name just a few. He physically left us in 1972, but the "life" of his spirit continues to guide me every step of the way. I love you big brother and I miss your "Righteous Brothers" renditions, "sis"

14 Comments:

Blogger Fyremandoug said...

Myra Its good to see you honor a warrior, thank you

Mon Mar 12, 07:10:00 PM  
Blogger Myra Langerhas said...

Thank you, Doug.

Tue Mar 13, 05:47:00 PM  
Blogger dragonfly said...

Hello Myra,
Imagine my surprise when I saw this website. My kids and I were just typing in our names for fun to see how many "hits" we got. Thank you for wearing Larry's bracelet--he was the best brother and friend anyone could want. He has a great group of friends still who pay tribute to him each year at a bocce ball tournament --the proceeds go to needy students at the high school he attended in San Diego, Ca. Thanks again--he is smiling upon us all.

Fri May 11, 01:34:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

While going thru odds and ends today during a move i found my bracelet with s/sgt larry lehrke 6/18/72 on it. I thought i would research also and see if i could find him. I am so sorry for the loss of this hero. Giving of his life to protect us.
Tracey Roe
Howell, MI

Sat Jul 07, 04:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tracey,

I had abandoned this blog some years ago but still get some messages from it.

I am glad you were able to get some more info on a fallen hero. Its strange how these things can bind us.

All the best to you.

Sat Jul 07, 09:24:00 PM  
Blogger buckeyefan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Fri Aug 17, 04:09:00 PM  
Blogger buckeyefan said...

Wow, 5 years after the last story was written, I find this site. Recently, I found my MIA/POW bracelet for Larry Lehrke and decided to Google his name. I wore his bracelet for about 6 years, and shortly after all the POW's came home I received a lovely letter from Larry's father telling me a little bit about his son. Seeing his picture and reading this story was special to me. To the Lehrke family, my condonlences even after this long period of time. Your son/brother/uncle/etc. was a true hero.

Fri Aug 17, 04:11:00 PM  
Blogger Kathleen McQueen Wright said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wed Feb 18, 03:07:00 PM  
Blogger Kathleen McQueen Wright said...

I also have his POW bracelet

Wed Feb 18, 03:08:00 PM  
Blogger qqqqqq said...

derrick rose shoes
adidas online shop
nike air huarache
russell westbrook shoes
balenciaga sneakers
kate spade handbags
adidas superstar shoes
nike air force
lebron james shoes
balenciaga sneakers

Wed Jan 24, 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

nike blazer pas cher
ugg outlet
nike shoes
ray ban sunglasses
christian louboutin sale
nike outlet
miami dolphins jerseys
cheap ray bans
san antonio spurs
49ers jersey

Sun Jan 28, 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger Nj said...

I just recently found my bracelet also bearing his name..

Wed Mar 28, 08:22:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

polo ralph lauren
red bottom shoes
giuseppe zanotti outlet
adidas yeezy
christian louboutin sale
jordan 4
christian louboutin shoes
air jordan 4

Sat Apr 07, 03:00:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0616



polo ralph lauren
air max 90
kevin durant shoes
pandora jewelry
soccer shoes
cheap nhl jerseys
michael kors outlet
tory burch outlet
canada goose
lakers jerseys

Fri Jun 15, 10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home