June 28, 2007

PRESIDENTIAL QUIRKS

Some unusual facts about a few of our presidents:

-Warren G. Harding was an avid gambler and once bet all the White House china on a hand of cards – and lost.

-Harding and Grover Cleveland each had an illegitimate child, but both were born before their fathers served as president.

-William Howard Taft was known as “Big Bill” because he was 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighed more than 330 pounds.

-During warm weather, John Quincy Adams had a custom of skinny dipping before dawn in the Potomac River.

-John Tyler, president from 1841 to 1845, later joined the Confederacy and was elected to its house of representatives.

-Benjamin Harrison, president from 1889 to 1893, was not a fan of the new electricity in the White House and often had his staff turn the lights on and off for him.


And a newbie:

-George W. Bush, renowned for his loyalty, abandoned his principles, party and avid supporters in pursuit of a 'legacy. He failed.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger barista grazioso said...

I've heard some of those facts! Especially that last one. That one burns the most.

I'd say something stronger, but I've got enough to answer for in front of God.

Thu Jun 28, 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Myra Langerhas said...

Yahh spend 7 years defendin a guy and wind up with a knife in yer back.

Fri Jun 29, 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger barista grazioso said...

And that's precisely how it feels, Myra. I mean damn. I got into multiple voice-rasin' arguments with my dad, a die-hard democrat and this is how Bush repays my loyalty?

I have to feel sorry for the guy. He's doing what every other president has done, and that's to create some kind of 'legacy'. I suppose if I were paid shit for being the most powerful man on earth, I'd try and create a positive legacy too. BUT. Not at the expense of the country and citizens (legal mind you) I love so much. I have to remind myself of 9-11, and how I truly believe he was handpicked by God to be in that office at that particular day and time. But this? Nope.

Sat Jun 30, 10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home