AG drops all criminal charges against Duke 3
AG's Nifong smackdown:
- saying the athletes were innocent victims of a "tragic rush to accuse" by an overreaching district attorney
- "There were many points in the case where caution would have served justice better than bravado,"
- his own investigation concluded not only that the evidence against the young men was insufficient, but that no attack took place
- But the attorney general said the eyewitness identification procedures were unreliable, no DNA supported the woman's story, no other witness corroborated it, and the woman contradicted herself.
- "Based on the significant inconsistencies between the evidence and the various accounts given by the accusing witness, we believe these three individuals are innocent of these charges," Cooper said.
- He said the charges resulted from a "tragic rush to accuse and a failure to verify serious allegations."
- "This case shows the enormous consequences of overreaching by a prosecutor," he said.
The AG even spoke of enacting a mechanism to reign in rogue prosecutors. No charges to be sought against Crystal Gail Mangum. Except for that, this was a slam dunk for Duke 3 supporters.
I just knew some really, really ignorant Duke faculty member was going to make me physically ill before the days end. Really really ignorant Duke biology professor Sheryl Broverman obliges:
"Since we haven't gone through a normal legal process, we don't know what really happened," said Duke biology professor Sheryl Broverman. "The fact the charges were dropped doesn't mean nothing happened. It just means information wasn't collected appropriately enough to go forward."
Hey Simp, the 'normal legal process' means that when you have nary a shred of evidence suggesting guilt, and have a ton of evidence suggesting innocence, you don't prosecute. Listen to what the AG said - THEY ARE INNOCENT!